The Umbwe route is one of the most challenging routes to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro. The route can be done in five, six or seven days. We recommend it to be done in six or seven days so as clients can stay at Baranco for acclimatization and then they can go to lava tower in the next day which is 4600m.This route follows a forested ridge to the moorlands, and then traverse below the southern ice field to reach the Barafu route which is followed to the summit.
Arrival Day at Kilimanjaro International Airport
Pick up from the airport and transfer to accommodation in Arusha at Green Mountain Hotel/impala hotel for an overnight stay. You will meet your Kilimanjaro Guide who will have to ensure you have all the required gears for the hiking.
DAY BY DAY ITINERARY
Day 1: Umbwe caves camp (2940m)
After breakfast, we will drive to the Umbwe gate.
Umbwe gate, passing through villages with coffee and banana plantations. On arrival at the gate, we will have to register and make our final preparations before the hike commences. We begin our hike through natural forest to a narrow and steep forested ridge to reach our first campsite amongst huge trees and overhanging rocks.
Day 2: Baranco camp (3950m)
We continue our journey through the forest where the path slowly turns towards rock and scree and offers spectacular views over the icy Breach wall above the great Barranco gorge. From the Umbwe ridge the route descends slightly to the Barranco campsite which is located in the valley below the Breach and Great Barranco wall.
Day 3: Karanga camp (4000m)
A gentle walk to the top of the Great Barranco and then traverse over screes and ridge to the Karanga valley campsite beneath the icefalls of the Southern Glaciers.
Day 4: Karanga-Barafu base camp (4600m)
The hiking from Karanga hut to Barafu Base camp which is 4600m this will involve the hiking in the alpine desert. You will have your lunch at base camp since the hiking hours is not much on this day. You will have enough time for a rest and waiting for the dinner and mid night hiking from Barafu to the summit which is uhuru peak. The hiking time here between 7-8hrs with the 3hrs descend to the base camp.
You will have a short rest and lunch before continuing to descend to the last camp, four hours from the camp base to Mweka hut. There is an option for the clients who would feel to do short hiking hence staying at High camp (Millennium camp) which is two hours from Barafu Base camp.
Day 5: Mweka Hut
Hiking time: 3hrs
The hiking hour will be (3-4 hours) for those who spent a night at Mweka camp and from millennium camp the hiking hour will be four to five hours.
Day 6: Millennium or Mweka Hut to the Mweka gate
The descend through a beautiful forest brings you to the park gate before driving back to Arusha
You will meet your driver and after you have received your certificates you will drive back to Arusha for lunch and relaxed afternoon.
PRICE INCLUDES PRICE EXCLUDES • Tanzania VAT on tourism activities and park fees
• Hotel before and after the climb,
• All Park gate fees, camping fees.
• Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
• Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summiting aid)
• Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
• Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters, and cook
• Salaries for the mountain crew.
• Breakfast, lunch, and dinner,
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress
• Water for washing up daily
• Porter to carry your duffel bag (max weight 15kg / 32 lbs)
• Chemical Portable toilet
• Flying Doctor Service
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters, and cook
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Snacks, personal medicine.