Kilimanjaro Marangu Route
Conquer the highest peak in Africa, mighty Mt Kilimanjaro
This classic Tanzania trek is the most popular route to Mt Kilimanjaro and the only one serviced by mountain huts to provide protection from the elements. We hike along the most direct path to the summit of Kilimanjaro and cover the trail in just five days, with the help of experienced guides and porters. Hike through forests and alpine meadows, over rocky ravines and past lunar landscapes to the spectacular summit of Africa’s highest peak. The panoramic views from the top of Mt Kilimanjaro must be seen to be believed.
Why you’ll love this trip
- We include an acclimatization day at Horombo Hut to give you the best chance of reaching the summit.
- Travelling with experienced guides, the best of the mountain, and porters, you’ll be in good hands, with one guide for every two passengers
- Taking the Marangu route to climb the mountain allows you to stay in the comfort of huts
- Walk through stunning alpine zones, watching the scenery shift as you gain attitude
- Hike Kilimanjaro’s climactic last stretch by lamplight, reaching Africa’s highest point
Is this trip right for you?
- You’ll need a good level of fitness for this trip. The distances may not be long, but the altitude makes it much harder than your average uphill hike. The going will be slow as your body adjusts.
- Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travelers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude.
- Tried and tested all-purpose hiking equipment is required. Temperatures at night can get very low when you’re above 3,500 metres, so warm clothing and a sleeping bag are essential. You can hire this equipment if need be.
- Your safety comes first. Our experienced guides will monitor each passenger for any signs of acute mountain sickness. If you show any signs, you’ll descend immediately with a guide.
- Hiking for several days without a shower can be tough – be prepared for some dust and dirt. A mask, wet wipes and face washer may become your best friends!
- The huts along this route sleep between 4 and 12 passengers and will be mixed-gender.
- Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip. To see what you’re missing out on check out our Serengeti & Kilimanjaro trip.