Mount Meru, 4 Day Trekking
Arusha is known as the ‘safari capital’ of Tanzania. It is a pleasant town, lying at the foot of the dormant volcano Mt Meru. Arusha has a relaxed and bohemian atmosphere.
Arusha is the administrative capital of the Arusha Region and has a population of 270,485 according to the 2002 national census. There are good transport links to other areas of the country and it is possible to combine a northern circuit safari with a visit to almost any other park in Tanzania (including Mahale ond Gombe) by flying from Arusha Domestic airport.
Because the Northern Circuit of Tanzania is so well developed for tourism there is accommodation to suit all budgets. Here we list a few of the options, but, if you have heard of another hotel that you would like to stay in, just let us know and we can book it for you. Most Tanzania safaris begin and end in Arusha, due to its proximity to Mount Kilimanjaro and the world famous Serengeti National Park.
The nearby Arusha National Park is good for both wildlife and hiking, with Tanzania’s second highest peak, Mount Meru. See our hiking itineraries for detailed Meru treks. It is also possible to go canoeing around the Momella Lakes, mountain biking, horse riding and visit local cultural projects
Mount Meru Itinerary schedule:
DAY BY DAY ITINERARY
Day 1: MariaKamba Hut
Drive from Arusha to the Mt. Meru Park gate. Here we will meet with our guide and porters. Hike the few hours to the first hut at 8,500 ft. From here we can go on an evening game walk in hopes of watching some wildlife at one of the watering holes in the crater.
Day 2: Saddle Hut
Hike to the 11,500 ft. camp where, if time allows, we can climb Little Meru for a good view of Kilimanjaro and a bit more acclimatization
Day 3: MariaKamba Hut
Up early and on to the summit before the afternoon clouds come rolling in. From the summit we should be back to the 11,500 ft. camp in time for lunch. After lunch we will hike down to Mariakamba Hut for the night.
Day 4: Meru Park Gate
After a leisurely morning we will complete our descent and be at the park gate by late morning. The company driver will come and drive you back to Arusha.
PRICE INCLUDES PRICE EXCLUDES • Tanzania VAT on tourism activities and park fees
• Hotel before and after the climb,
• All Park gate fees, camping fees.
• Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
• Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summiting aid)
• Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
• Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters, and cook
• Salaries for the mountain crew.
• Breakfast, lunch, and dinner,
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress
• Water for washing up daily
• Porter to carry your duffel bag (max weight 15kg / 32 lbs)
• Chemical Portable toilet
• Flying Doctor Service
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters, and cook
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Snacks, personal medicine.